Walmart Vision Center and Medicaid

Getting the best value for your money when it comes to eyeglasses, sunglasses, eye exams, and contact lenses.

Postby airescomet » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:04 pm

I've been searching and searching the local Walmart Vision Center site for I don't know how long. I'm so frustrated. I have 4 questions: 1) I am disabled and on Medicaid. Do they accept Medicaid because it covers the cost of the eye exam, as well as, the price of lenses? (I already have a brand new pair of frames ready to go.) 2) How much will the eye exam cost? 3) How much does it cost for the lenses? and 4) How long will it take to receive my new glasses? I am allowed under Medicaid one eye exam and one pair of lenses and frames every 2 years. I'm searching the Vision Center located in Bay City, Michigan, on Wilder Rd. I'll be receiving my frames by 10-31-2015. Any help you give would be greatly appreciated, especially when it comes to whether, or not, they accept Medicaid. I was seriously injured in a 2-second accident on the ground with both of my horses at the same time. In those 2 seconds my life completely changed. I went from being a Cowgirl for 15 years, to never being able to ride again. Although I am permanently disabled I hate being on Medicaid, receiving SSDI each month ($733/month only), and a Bridge Card for food ($148/month). I walk with a cane to maintain my balance, otherwise I lose my balance and fall flat on my face. I've fallen down stairs, into my bathtub, my hallway, in front of my car, on the sidewalk, I mean you name it. This isn't living, this is just existing. I'm very frustrated and hope you can help me out with some answers regarding the questions I previously stated. Thank you and I'll be checking back.
airescomet

Postby george » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:49 am

airescomet,

I moved your post to its own thread as I figured it would otherwise get lost in the main Walmart Vision Center thread. If I am able to get a clear answer to your questions, I may add them to the first post of that thread. Unfortunately, I don't have any clear answers myself. From looking around it seems that there are differences from state to state regarding Medicaid coverage for eye exams and eyeglasses. It also looks like in Michigan there may be different Medicaid plans and each Walmart may accept or not accept certain Medicaid plans. I was only able to find a few specific examples related to children's vision care in Michigan at a few Walmart stores to see which plans they accept and what they cover. It varies.

The best solution for you would be to call the specific store. I tried looking it up and calling them but their Vision Center is closed right now. The number appears to be (989) 684-5526. They would be able to tell you exactly what your Medicaid plan will cover there. If the don't accept your coverage, perhaps they can suggest another Walmart nearby that would.

Either way, I'd greatly appreciate if you can share what you find out from the store if you do call them. Good luck and hopefully it won't be much of a hassle. I'm sorry that I can't get you any more specific answers at this time.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:49 am.
george

Return to Eye Care