Transitions lenses: Costco, eyeglasslensdirect.com or ???

Getting the best value for your money when it comes to eyeglasses, sunglasses, eye exams, and contact lenses.

Postby gamezgirl2 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:30 am

Looking to get a pair of transition lenses since I don't have sunglasses - my prescription is -7 with slight astigmatism

Costco total was about $180 for high index with the coatings and grey/brown tint which seems very low compared to the prices on eyeglasslensdirect single vision transition lenses - 1.67 with coating costs over $300.

How's the quality of costco lenses? Is it safe to order off of eyeglasslensdirect.com? Or should I consider looking elsewhere?

Thanks
gamezgirl2

Postby george » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:06 pm

Based on the only review in this thread on Eyeglass Lens Direct from someone who actually used their services, I'd say to avoid them. Especially when you consider that Costco is cheaper.

Costco uses very good quality lenses and they stand by their products as well as anyone. Most people will be satisfied with the quality of Costco's lenses. There are higher quality options available, but they will cost a high premium and most people probably wouldn't appreciate the differences.

I doubt you'll find anything that rivals Costco when looking at both cost and quality. If you do find something better, please share!
george

Postby gitamina » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:15 am

Zenni Optical provides 1.67 Transitions lenses at the price of $170 and their AR coating is $4.95 per pair. I have ever purchased a pair of 1.57 photochromic glasses from Zenni and they take a minute or two to make the transition. Overall, they did a good job and only cost me $40. I will try their Transitions glasses if I need a pair of new ones.
gitamina

Postby mouse » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:38 pm

Costco charges $159 for a 1.67 high index lens with scratch protection, UV protection, the best AR on the market and name-brand Transisitons. That beats the onliners, although prices may always be a little higher in California, Alaksa and Hawaii.
mouse

Postby SteveO » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:23 pm

Just got a couple of pairs of glasses back from Eyeglass Lens Direct. I was very pleased with the service all around. The quality and value are there - both in terms of the lens and coatings offerings, the prices, and the fit into a very difficult pair of antique frames i valued was perfect. The old lenses didn't fit properly after a while and had been popping out constantly; the new ones were fit into the frame tight as a glove all the way around. I was impressed and have since sent them another two pairs to work on.

Anyway, just one layman's opinion. I tried to compare with Costco but they don't give specific brand or pricing information on-line so it's hard to do an apples to apples comparison. I don't want to buy any lenses anymore without knowing exactly what I am buying.

Good luck.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:23 pm.
SteveO

Return to Eye Care