Progressive Lens with less peripheral distortion

Getting the best value for your money when it comes to eyeglasses, sunglasses, eye exams, and contact lenses.

Postby sfglass » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:35 pm

I have been wearing progressive for several years and recent got a new prescription with a slight change.

I've tried both Costco HD Hi index progressives and Varilux Physio Enhanced hi index 1.67 and had a problem with peripheral distortion. OD -6, IS -5.75, Add OD/OS 2.25
I'm bought the same frame that I am currently using with no problem.

In my car, when I'm driving, glancing at my radio or gps in the center console is blurry.

Suggestions?

Should I ask my optician to try Nikon, Hoya or Seiko?
Should I move to Plastic CR-39 or Trivex instead or Hi index?

Can aspheric help?

Thanks!
James
sfglass

Postby george » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:35 pm

sfglass,

Did you have the same issue before the change in your prescription? What was the change? Did the "add" increase? If so, I think that could explain having more distortion as you get to more peripheral areas of the lens.

It sounds like you are particularly sensitive to the off-center blurring and it sounds like something that you will need to talk to an optomstrist to get suggestions on how to best address your issue.

If you do talk to your optometrist, please share his/her response. I'm also curious if you are able to find a lens that works noticeably better for you.
george

Postby sfglass » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:06 pm

Prescription was OD -5.75, OS -5.75, Add OD/OS 1.75

Glasses were redone with Variulx S series - slightly better off axis distortion, but not 100%.

Another data point, my last pair that worked out fine where from Costco before the digital change. They seemed to use Ovation from my research.
sfglass

Return to Eye Care