Goggles4U Review - Getting a great deal with coupons

Getting the best value for your money when it comes to eyeglasses, sunglasses, eye exams, and contact lenses.

Postby george » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:14 pm

Updated December 16, 2012

In my search for the best cheap glasses, I've decided to add this review here.

On one of the hot deal forums I frequent, there have been several different great offers lately from discount eyeglass stores. One of the offers I saw was for Goggles4U, which I hadn't yet reviewed for this website. I figured now would be a good time.

I'm always skeptical of online reviews of companies that have affiliate programs, and Goggles4U does have an affiliate program. What this means is that most of those reviewers get a commission for the glasses sold as a result of their site.

Having gotten that out of the way, there is currently a fantastic deal going on for glasses at Goggles4U. If you use the coupon "WOOT" you will save $20. You can get prescription glasses delivered for under $10. What you do is select one of their frames listed for $4.99. Then enter your prescription information and when you get to the checkout use the coupon code: "WOOT". The coupon will deduct $20 from your final price. You will then pay $4.99 for shipping bringing your grand total to a mere $9.98. This is a fantastic price, especially considering what they include for this price:

Basic frames
Middle index 1.56 plastic lenses (will be slightly thinner than the standard 1.50 plastic lenses)
Anti-reflective coating
Anti-scratch coating
UV filter coating
Hard case

This may be the lowest price I've seen for this combination of features. I'm not sure how long this offer will be available.

As far as the company themselves, there are many mixed reviews on the company. They are registered with the Better Business Bureau but seem to have two different entries. One entry for Goggles4U is not actually accredited with the BBB - listing an address in Florida. They have a rating of F with 3 complaints and no response from the company. If that is not actually the correct business information, though, it could explain why the BBB does not have any response. There is another listing for Goggles4U in California, which is accredited with the BBB. This listing does not have a rating. There were 16 complaints listed, but all of them appeared to be resolved satisfactorily.

If you look at other review sites, you will see comments all across the board from being excellent to being horrible. This seems pretty much typical for online retailers, especially the low cost variety.

My thought is if you are looking for a spare pair of glasses, this seems like a great choice right now when they have this promotion. Worst case scenario is you are out the $10.

If someone has ordered from Goggles4U.com recently, please feel free to post your experiences in this thread.
george

Postby george » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:01 pm

A little more reading online reviews shows that a few people reported problems with the frameless glasses. They reported "studs" sticking out of the sides that were initially covered with plastic tips, but these fell off easily. They also had problems with the nose piece falling off and the lenses coming loose over time. It may have been something specific to the frameless option, so if you do order from them, I'd strongly encourage you to stick with standard frames.
george

Postby george » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:14 pm

I'm not sure if the coupon code "woot" is still working, but now they have a few different coupons posted on the site including:

$4.99 frames complete with coated lenses - coupon code "Cybersale"
$50 off designer eyeglasses - coupon code "Designer"
30% off total order value - coupon code "Deal30"

I'm guessing the $4.99 frames are the same as what is offered in the "woot" offer.
george

Postby george » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:44 am

I noticed that Goggles4U is now offering a buy one / get one coupon. For $6.95 you get two pairs of glasses if you use the coupon G4UBOGO

They also now list their address on their website in California. The Goggles4U BBB page for that address now shows a rating of a B+ with 32 complaints over the past 3 years.
george

Return to Eye Care