39dollarglasses Review

Getting the best value for your money when it comes to eyeglasses, sunglasses, eye exams, and contact lenses.

Postby george » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:23 pm

Last Update: December 16, 2012

This review was part of my search to find the best places to buy glasses.

Many people online are recommending 39dollarglasses. You need to be skeptical of some of the reviews you find online, because you probably don't realize that the websites posting the reviews get a commission for every sale made when someone follows a link from their site.

From what I can tell, the sites that are getting commissions give very positive reviews, while the unbiased reviews have been far more negative than positive with this company.

If you look at the sites where people aren't on commission posting results (unless they are shill reviews from company employees - which I am suspicious some of them are) the results are more negative than positive. For example, epinions ratings averaged 2 out of 5 stars from 41 customers. The positive reviews were generally people who got the right order right off the bat. Unfortunately, there seemed to be a high number of reviews where people had problems.

If you have problems, it sounds like no one was able to get the issues resolved. People report sitting on hold on the phone for 10 minutes and then having the line disconnected. This was reported by multiple people who dealt with their non-existant phone support multiple times. People report that the online chat support is horrible. If you manage to get connected to someone, you'll spend minutes between answering questions and getting asked for more information. This seems to be the only way people actually got a response (although they report the person was rude). It seems that people who did send back their incorrect eyeglasses were sent back another problematic pair.

Resellerratings is more of the same. Of the four reviews in the past six months, the ratings total 2.5 out of 10, which is extremely poor. Of the 24 ratings overall, they scored a 4.48 out of 10, which is still not good. Just for comparisons sake, Zenni Optical scored 7.58/10 for the past six months from 33 reviews.

Their lowest priced offering - $39 for a basic frame and polycarbonate lens is a decent price, but far from the cheapest for online glasses. Basic frames and polycarbonate lenses at Zenni are only $8.

Once you select the lens, you'll be given the option of single vision (full time wear) starting at $39, single-vision (reading only) (starting at $39), regular bifocals (with line) starting at $79, or progressives (no line) starting at $89.

The $39 option includes polycarbonate lenses with a 1.59 index, an antiscratch coating, UV protection, polished lens edges, and a hard case. You can upgrade to the clear seiko 1.67 super high-index lenses for $29.95 extra. You can also get CR-39 plastic with a dark tint for an extra $9.95, a polycarbonate tinted lens for $19.95 extra, or the seiko 1.67 super high index lens tinted for $39.90 extra. They also offer polarized tinted lenses: CR39 for $49.90 extra, polycarbonate for $88.90 extra, or drivewear transitions polarized for $89.00 additional. They also offer the non-polarized but transitions lenses in Cr39 for $49.90 extra or polycarbonate for $88.90 extra.

They do offer an anti-reflective coating for $24.95. From what people have said, it does seem to be a decent quality anti-reflective coating.

The above prices put them at the higher end of the discount on-line eyeglass retailers. Considering the very poor customer service comments, I don't know why anyone would take changes to order with them.

My view is that if you are wanting to take a chance, you may as well go for far cheaper from a place like Zenni Optical.
george

Postby george » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:42 pm

While I'm not a huge fan of 39dollarglasses, there is a coupon code if you enter "twitter" you will save $12 on your purchase. With the coupons, their prices are definitely more competitive, especially if you don't want to order all of the extra stuff.
george

Postby blake » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:08 am

Their customer service is terrible. They sent my glasses without bubble wrap or other protection and they arrived with a broken lens. They would not replace or repair the glasses unless I sent them back for "inspection", thereby leaving me without glasses, even though this was entirely their fault. Avoid this merchant.
blake

Postby george » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:29 pm

Someone just posted feedback on my thread about anti-reflective coatings:

LesfromNJ wrote:It is possible to buy excellent Varilux progressive glasses from 39DollarGlasses. The charge $24.95 additional for the anti-glare coating. Plus I am very happy with my first pair and I'm about to buy my second.
george

Postby RHKo47 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:15 am

I am dissatisfied with the service I received on a new prescription for progressive bifocals. The first pair had the reading area too low on the lens, so that I had to prop up the glasses to read. I called and described the problem and was sent a free shipping label, and after another wait received presumably new lenses, but with the same problem. I called again and was advised to have a measurement made, "segment height", and again after a wait I received new (?) lenses with exactly the same problem to exactly the same degree. When I called again, I was advised that I could return the glasses for only a partial refund. So I'm out money and have no new glasses six weeks after receiving a new and very satisfactory prescription from a local provider. I would never do business with 39dollarglasses again.
RHKo47

Postby george » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:16 pm

In the 3 years since I did my initial review, things seem to have improved quite a bit. Their reseller ratings results now show a 9.26 ratings out of 10 with around 400 reviews entered. While it is possible that some are fake, it does seem like there are plenty of genuine reviews with good details in there as well. When I have some more time, I'm going to expand some more details and dig deeper into those reviews.

For now, though, I do have some new 39dollarglasses coupon codes that will save you some more money.

You can try the following coupon codes. I don't know the expiration dates
Save 15% Code: 11Years
Save $15 Code: EYE15

If those don't work, then try:

Save 12% Code: MedPsy

The last one is a coupon exclusively for this site and it should definitely work.
george

Postby dman » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:45 pm

To chime in,

I just received a pair a glasses from 39dollarglasses and they are superb.
The prescription is right on, and the frame 'sorrento' is made well.
I paid an extra $12 for 2 day UPS shipping and received my completed glasses 6 days after placing the order.
The whole order was around $55 with a $20 coupon from the internet applied.

I cannot attest to the longevity of these glasses (because I've only had them a couple days), but I am very satisfied with the final product.

It is possible that I got lucky, but I suspect this company has their act together.
As you said George, it looks like things have improved in recent years.
dman

Postby JerryM » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:43 pm

Hi dman,
Were your glasses single vision?
Thanks,
Jerry
JerryM

Postby dman » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:49 pm

Hi Jerry,

Yes, my prescription is single vision.
My lenses are Package AX: 'Clear Polycarbonate High Index Lenses w/ Premium Anti-Glare Coating'.

-DMan
dman

Postby JerryM » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:59 pm

Thanks.
Jerry
JerryM

Return to Eye Care