Walmart Vision Center Prices 2016

Getting the best value for your money when it comes to eyeglasses, sunglasses, eye exams, and contact lenses.

Postby george » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:39 pm

I hadn't done a detailed price update for a while, so I figured it was time. Just to give a brief background, I wrote an article about Walmart eyeglasses and eye exams back in 2009. That thread is still a great resource and a place to ask questions. It has been viewed over a million times making it the most popular thread here. I did a separate thread on prices in 2013 and this will be an update. Fortunately, I've had great user feedback to assist in keeping information on this site accurate. Now, on to the numbers:

Please keep in mind that prices vary by store and location to some extent. The eye exam prices are going to vary the most by geographic location and store. Most of the optometrists in the store are independent from Walmart and they just lease the space. They have no requirement to stick to Walmart's suggested prices, but they typically are competitive with neighboring eye doctors. My nearest Walmart (in the Midwest US) had the following prices, current as of today:

Eye exam cost: $53
Pupil dilation: $20
Contact lens Exam cost: $85 for standard contacts, $105 for bifocal contact lens exam

Eyeglass frames cost: $9 up to $140

Eyeglass lens cost:
Plastic start at $29
Polycarbonate with anti-scratch, UV, and anti-reflective coating: $110
High Index Lens with anti-scratch, UV, and anti-reflective coating: Zeiss $145 and Nikon $180

Bifocal plastic lenses: $49
Bifocal polycarbonate lenses (with anti-scratch, UV, and anti-reflective coating): $110

Progressive lenses - plastic $110
Polycarbonate progressive lenses made by Zeiss, Seiko, or Nikon start at $245
High index polycarbonate lenses start at $350

Transitions coating to any lens adds $65

She said that the anti-reflective coating is made by whoever manufactures the lens, except the no name brands don't have a specific brand anti-reflective coating. I know when I called around in 2013, I was told Walmart uses their own anti-reflective coating on the generic lenses which they call "Platinum".
george

Postby george » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:53 pm

There was a question in the main Walmart thread whether Walmart will let you bring your own frames. I figured I'd post the same information here.

If you bring your own frames, you would also need a current prescription, but they will use frames purchased elsewhere for an extra $10 (cost at my Walmart, which may vary based on location and store). They said they can not order lenses based on the measurements they take off the current lenses, so you do need a current prescription.
george

Postby Chaunda » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:32 pm

Hi, is that price for each individual lense or both lenses? Just asking because it seems that $110. per lense is a bit pricey.
Chaunda

Postby george » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:05 am

I should have been more clear. The prices I listed are for both lenses. A receipt may split the cost as per lens, but the listed price here is for two lenses.
george

Postby Angela » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:04 am

george wrote:I should have been more clear. The prices I listed are for both lenses. A receipt may split the cost as per lens, but the listed price here is for two lenses.
does that quote also apply to the transitions lenses so I am reading correctly at 65$ for cost on 1 pair of glasses (just the 2 transitions lenses) the other $ amounts still apply depending on what you want done to your lenses.
Angela

Postby george » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:48 pm

The $65 for the Transitions lenses is for both lenses / one pair of eyeglasses, added to the other cost of the lenses.
george

Postby babaplan » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:20 am

george wrote:
Contact lens Exam cost: $85 for standard contacts, $105 for bifocal contact lens exam

Is it total cost of a contacts exam or it's without a fitting?

Thanks
babaplan

Postby Cara » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:46 am

My son got his 1st pair of glasses from Walmart at the beginning of 2017 (think it was Feb. Or March) he qualified for 2 pair so til we found a durable kid's brand I was looking for we got 1 pair from walmart and the other (the kind I was looking for for him, the more durable one's) from Vision Works. Well in June his script changed and I only replaced the lenses in the pair from Vision Works til I made sure they were the correct script this time. Well unfortunately his lens came out of his glasses this a.m so am going to get those fixed for free but was going to take his back up pair from Wal-Mart in today with his new script (the one from June) and was curious if you knew what it would cost to keep the same frame but just have the lenses replaced? Hate having to do this since his script was just off a tiny bit in his right eye but the same in his left but of course is enough for him to notice. After the incident this a.m. I'm def. Kicking myself for not getting the lenses changed in both glasses and not just the 1 pair like I did. Sorry for such a long post/question and thanks for any info. about this! ☺
Cara

Return to Eye Care