Walmart Eye Center Prices 2013

Getting the best value for your money when it comes to eyeglasses, sunglasses, eye exams, and contact lenses.

Postby george » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:56 pm

Back in 2009, I made a post about the prices for Walmart eye exams and eyeglasses. A lot of people have visited that thread and posted their thoughts and comments on Walmart's eyeglasses. I figured it was time to update the information with current prices, so here goes:

Eye exam cost: $50 for a basic eyeglass exam, plus an addition $15 to get your pupils dilated
Contact Lens exam cost: $89

Eyeglass frames cost anywhere from $9 to $100

Plastic lenses cost $28, but have no anti-reflective coating. They do have a scratch resistant coating and a UV protective coating.

Polycarbonate lenses include all coatings - anti-reflective, ultraviolate, and scratch resistance - for $110. They said that their polycarbonate lenses are made by Nikon or Zeiss.

Their high index (single vision) lenses including all coatings (anti reflective, UV, scratch resistant) for $140. The high index lenses are made by Zeiss.

Interestingly, they told me that the lined, old-fashioned bifocals are the same price as single vision - $110 for polycarbonate and $140 for high index.

It costs a bit more for the progressive lenses at $180 for polycarbonate and $240 for high index.

For any of their lenses, they will add a transitions (photochromic - light darkening) for $60.

I asked if they use a particular brand for their anti-reflective coating, and I was told that the coating is proprietary to their Walmart lab, and they called it a Platinum anti-reflective coating.

Based on responses in the other thread, it seems like most people are pretty happy with the value of the glasses from Walmart. I think it is a reasonable choice for most people. Personally, I still favor Costco for my eyeglasses, but you need to be a member which many people aren't.
george

Postby Von » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:36 pm

the lens price are for both eyes with prescription and astigmatism?
Von

Postby george » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:43 pm

Von,

Yes - those are the prices for both eyes. I have never heard of anyone charging more for astigmatism correction, so that should be included in each of the prices.
george

Postby Mango » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:03 pm

I just got some prices for the Walmart in Red Deer, Alberta.

Eye exam - $80, no pupil dilation. (This is high for Walmart but low for competing optometrists.)
PD measurement - $25 (free if you purchase glasses from Walmart).
Frames - a few at $18, many at $50-$70, some over $100. Many of the $18 ones were very nice.
Lenses - basic lenses start at $129 including coatings.
Special - $170 for two pairs of glasses, includes lenses, a few selected frames only.

Unlike in British Columbia, in Alberta the PD measurement is not considered part of an eye exam. (Source: http://www.collegeofoptometrists.ab.ca/d-igp.asp). Out of three other opticians I called, one refused to measure it, and two charged $40-$50. One of those told me "it's expensive because it's such a delicate procedure and we want to make sure it's absolutely accurate". According to the laws here they're well within their rights to charge for PD measurement but everyone who's had their PD measured knows it takes under 30 seconds with a pupilometer so I see no reason to lie about why they charge what they do.

Unlike my experience in 2011, no one seemed to care when my wife mentioned she was planning to buy her glasses online, or take offense when I asked how much they charged for PD measurement. Based on anecdotal evidence, it seems that online opticians are becoming much more popular and accepted, at least here in Canada.
Mango

Return to Eye Care